A marble-slab throne, which was used for the coronations of 32 Holy Roman emperors in the period from 936 to 1531, is thought to be Carolingian.
From the mid-14th century to 1414, the choir of the chapel was reconstructed in the Gothic style, with walls incorporating thousands of panes of glass.
In this section some examples of different types of Roman labyrinths will be shown, picked from the catalogue in the splendid book Through the Labyrinth of Hermann Kern (in English 2000, in German 1982).
From 1840 to 1845 the corner overlooking the Place Royale was home to the bookshop C. In 1920 the building was thoroughly refurbished for the arrival of the "Lloyds & National Provincial Foreign Bank Ltd".
Constructed on the site of an earlier, smaller house of worship dating from the 780s and 790s, the Palatine Chapel was consecrated in 805 to serve as the imperial church.
It was designed by Odo of Metz, who modeled it after the Byzantine-style church of San Vitale (consecrated 547) in .
Also during the 15th century, several subsidiary chapels and a vestibule were added to the main structure, and the enlarged building was designated Aachen Cathedral.
A large-scale restoration program for the structure, including the nearly 600-year-old “glass house” choir, began in 1995 in anticipation of the 1,200th anniversary of the consecration of Charlemagne’s chapel; exterior restoration work on the cathedral was completed in 2006.
This renovation saw the creation of the marble staircase and the grand entrance hall of the Bip as it stands today, as well as the vast hall where the bank counters were located.